July is National Ice Cream Month, but let’s be honest, as ice cream experts we really celebrate ice cream all year long! We’ve put together the top 10 shocking facts you probably didn’t already know about ice cream! Some of these will definitely get you talking…
1) We celebrate this month all because in 1984, President Reagan officially designated July as National Ice Cream Month.
2) Neapolitan ice cream wasn’t always the chocolate, vanilla and strawberry trio we know and love today. Originally, it was made up of vanilla, cherry and pistachio in honour of the Italian flag
3) In Alabama, sticking an ice cream cone in your back pocket is illegal, YES you read right. Rumour has it, if you were to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket and walked by a horse, it was likely to follow you back home, resulting in horse theft! So, long ago, a legislator introduced this ice cream law as a way to cut down on horse thievery…now you know!
4) It takes on average 50 licks to finish a scoop of ice cream
5) ‘Raw Horse Flesh’ is an ice cream flavour that is sold in Japan…mmm!
6) In Oregon, it is illegal to eat ice cream on Sundays…Ice cream? Illegal? We’ve never heard anything so outrageous!
7) There is a fruit in Hawaii that tastes exactly like ice cream! It’s called the Inga Feuillei and locals call it ‘the ice cream bean’!
8) The waffle cone was invented by accident. In 1904, an ice cream vendor had such a high demand that he ran out of cones, so he enlisted the help of a nearby waffle vendor. Together, they came up with the idea to mould the waffles into cones and serve the ice cream in there!
9) 1 in 10 ice cream eaters admit to letting their pet lick their ice cream bowl when they’re finished!
10) Once you go Porrelli, you never go back… We hope you already knew that one!